Thursday, May 21, 2009

Thoughts from the Radical Wrencher

So for the last week and a half I've been helping Dan pack up his wood shop to move to a new location. For the most part it's just been the two of us. This week we had to load his storage pod and that meant that we needed some burly men to lift the heavy equipment out of the basement and carry it to the pod.

I've gotten very comfortable working with Dan. He respects what I do for a living and thinks it's great. He tells everyone he introduces me to what I do. The two movers came and apparently Dan told them what I do too. They not only think it's cool, but one even asks me a question right away about a problem he's having with his truck.

I found myself feeling like I was back in the shop again. It was so easy to be with these guys. We talk cars, Harleys and even an occasional bad joke slips out. I think it's funny how after just a few hours there seems to be no distinctions between all of us.

We've had some candid conversations, and while we may not all agree, there is mutual respect. I find this refreshing. It's nice when I can be around men who are not afraid to admit that they know nothing about cars and to hear about how they often feel pressured to act like they do.

After 20 years of working with men, I have to say I know a lot about them. Because I work right along side them there are often no pretenses as to how they should act around me. Don't get me wrong, I'm quick to tell them if I find something they say or do to be offensive, but for the most part we've developed a great camaraderie.

Many times I think I'm lucky to have been able to get away from all the stereotypes and just work and have conversations from one human being to another. I think I'm going to miss working with the guys next week.

Lori

No comments:

Post a Comment