Friday, May 8, 2009

Sunny Day....

The sun finally poked it’s head out this morning and I wasted no time putting my shoes on and heading out for a walk. My destination….the library. I love where I live because I can walk to many of the places that I need to go. I stopped to talk to a neighbor who was working in his yard and another who was out for a walk with a friend.

Most of my neighbors are in their 70’s so like me, they’re around during the day. Many of them know me as the girl who works on cars, or the one who rides the Harley. People wave even if they don’t know you. This is why I like living in the city as opposed to the burbs. I actually talk to my neighbors here.

The neighbor who was walking with a friend told me that she had recently had surgery and so she was taking it slow and just walking around the block. We chatted for a few minutes and her friend asked me my name. You know I ALWAYS have my business card in my pocket for just such occasions…so I handed her one. She smiled and said “you go girl!”

She loved the fact that I was doing something to empower women. We said goodbye and I headed back on my way to the library. I think I had a smile on my face for the next 2 blocks. It’s never easy starting your own business, but I have to say that so far it has been the most rewarding thing I’ve ever done.

I think it’s because my business is not about me and how much money I can make, it’s about reaching out to as many women as I can to empower them and teach them something that can truly make a difference in their lives. I have never gotten a negative reaction to what I do and often women hug me after a class. When was the last time you were rewarded in this way for doing your job?

It’s days like these that make me forget about the struggles of trying to make it on my own as a female business owner and remind me why it’s worth it. Doing what you love always brings things around full circle and it’s the passion for doing it that makes you successful.

Lori

No comments:

Post a Comment