Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Women and Parking Lots


I was recently at the grocery store when I noticed a woman standing near her vehicle with the hood opened. She was alone and attempting to contact someone on the phone. Whenever I see women alone with a broken down vehicle I try to stop and at least offer some assistance.

Women can feel vulnerable when their vehicle breaks down for a couple reasons. 1. They may not know what's wrong and how to fix it. 2. Men who are strangers may stop to help and this may not be safe.

I have actually felt like the women I've helped were relieved that a woman stopped to help them. I don't treat them like they don't know what they're doing and I try to help them understand what went wrong if I can.

The woman in the grocery store lot seemed to have everything under control. She had contacted the lot security who was on the way with a jump. I stayed to help out. The young man had a jump box with a broken clamp and I wondered how he intended to get it to work.

I stood back for a moment and let him do his job. When the vehicle wouldn't start I had to step in :) I was able to get a good contact and get the vehicle started. I also talked to the woman about what her options were for her battery problem. She was very grateful for the help and thanked me for the information.

I couldn't help but wonder what the security guard would have done if he couldn't get the vehicle started...he probably would have told her to get a tow. I think it's important for women to look out for each other. If you see a woman broken down and you can stop, even if you only have moral support to offer, it could still mean a great deal. Staying with her until the vehicle is taken care of and you know she's safe is just as important as offering car advice.

I enjoy helping people in general, but am especially happy to be able to help women with a broken down vehicle feel a little safer.

Lori

No comments:

Post a Comment