Friday, July 16, 2010

How Much Did You Say?

The other day while I was driving I heard an ad on the radio for a brake job. It was a male salesman telling a woman that she could get a brake job done and only pay half for the brake pads. I actually started to laugh.

The woman in the ad was excited and couldn't wait to bring her vehicle in. The problem with this ad, in my opinion, is that the brake pads are not the expensive part...it's the labor. This is the kind of thing that you have to be careful with when getting your vehicle serviced.

The ad makes it sound like such a good deal, but you should ask how much it will cost and how much of a discount that is off of the regular price. Later that night I was having dinner with a group of women friends. We meet monthly and the conversation is all over the map. Many of us have known each other for 10 years or more. I told them about the ad and asked what they thought. They said that one of their complaints is not knowing what it "should" cost to have work done.

Great point. So what do you do when you need work done and the shop quotes you a price? Here are a couple of sites you can check out. One that I like is called repair pal. You put in your vehicle, your zip code and pick the type of work you need to have done and they give you an estimate for parts and labor for your area. It's a great resource to at least get an idea of the amount you might be expected to pay. Now remember, shops can charge whatever they want. If you don't like their price, shop around.

If you just want to see what parts cost I would recommend looking at Rockauto. I buy a lot of parts from them. You put in your vehicle and then look up the parts. This will give you an idea of whether the shop is making too much money on the parts they're selling you.

I don't know about you, but for me money is tight. I want the work done on my vehicle to be the best deal I can get without compromising quality and workmanship. So the next time someone tries to sell you a good deal, check it out, it may not be such a bargain.

www.ladiesstartyourengines.com

No comments:

Post a Comment