Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Reno, Emily Miller and Rod Hall Racing


October is almost over and I have been so busy I haven’t even had time to post all of the cool things that have been happening. Now that I have a minute to breathe, I wanted to catch you all up. It all started with an incredible trip to Reno, Nevada on October 5th.

I think I need to back up a little and explain that about a year ago I contacted Emily Miller, who does off-road racing with Rod Hall Racing After reading an article about her second place win in a race from Vegas to Reno I thought it would be interesting to talk with her. I believe this was the first time for a woman in this race. We stayed in touch and I had a great time following her in Morocco when she and her navigator Wendy Fisher, entered an all women off-road race as the first American team. After she returned, she told me to stay tuned for a special class she wanted to run in the fall and hoped that I could come.

Well, the class ended up being an invitation only event for 14 women in off-road driving. I was going to get there no matter what. I thought this was an incredible opportunity and should not be missed. I was right! For 3 days I had the opportunity to spend time with some amazing women and learn all about driving off-road in the Hummer H3 and the Ford Explorer. Each vehicle had a different kind of tire, from mudders to a typical street tire. I was amazed at how both vehicles responded to the different kind of driving we did. I am truly a Hummer fan now!


We drove up steep hills, through mud bogs and even had the chance to do a hot lap with Emily. I think I speak for everyone when I tell you that was the most fun I’ve had in a long time! Rod, from Rod Hall Racing, spent time with us and actually enjoyed his day with the “ladies”. Learning from a legend was a real treat.

Sue Wright, an engineer with Hummer, and Rhonda Wood from Michelin gave us some great insight on the vehicles and tires as well. We even got to go to the Automobile Museum in Reno, which happened to be right across the street from our hotel…go figure.

What an amazing experience and opportunity to spend time with Emily and the Rod Hall Racing Crew. Thanks everyone for an adventure of a lifetime!

Lori

No comments:

Post a Comment